This type of furniture is also popularly known as re-cycled furnishings. Other names also of use are sustained furnishings, reclaimable furnishings as well as furniture find to name some.
Furniture pieces are furnishings design to help human perform manly chores with comfort such as eating with a table, seating with a chair and many others to mention. However, with daily use, in time a particular piece may reach its limit of wear and tear capacity depending on the material of furniture used as well as handling and care of the particular furnishing.
Most often when the highest point of service of particular furniture is reached, literally, it would mean the piece is already damaged whether slightly or severely. Unfortunately, sometimes slightly damaged furniture often became wasted as owners will automatically discard the particular damaged furniture as it doesn’t deliver anymore its destined purpose and leaving the piece in a corner of a storage room to rot or thrown into garbage instead.
Fortunately, some people have come up with recreating or repurposing such wasted pieces into a new furniture piece to serve another or still the same purpose, where, the former mentioned is collectively known as repurposed furniture.
Popularity of the said repurposed furnishings is increasingly growing with the evident increased in flea markets and shops selling especially such product lines along with other decorative material to aid in personal repurposing activity.
Benefits of Repurposed Furniture
The said repurposed furniture is full of advantages to both owners and to mother earth as well. Enumerated below are the said benefits.
For other people it a waste product and a waste of time to repair, however, unknown to them repurposed furnishings are nature and planet earth friendly as the said piece is a product of recycling. It is important to note that with recycling furniture; in a small way it can lessen the cutting of trees for wooden furniture as well as lessening the use of more energy consumption. Power consumption needed to use in making new furniture will instead be save. In short, purchase of such type of furniture replenishes and saves natural resources.
Apart from the aforementioned, recycled furnishings are practical buys as it allows financial savings. Most of recyclable furniture waiting for repurposing is sold at a lower price, even the already finished repurposed furniture pieces are still sold at low prices compared to newly made furniture but of the same quality and stylish innovative design, wherein, to some extent the recycled furnishing is still more classy and functionally able as the new pieces.
Suggested Steps for Repurposing Furniture
For simple table repurposing:
1. Unscrewing of the extended mechanicals from under the table should be the initial step.
2. Removal of the portion which is believed to be of no use.
3. Sanding the furniture piece with a sand paper then application of primary coat before painting the piece with the desired color. Let the piece dry in natural course such as exposure under the heat of the sun. Note that drying via artificial wind from an electric fan or dryer may cause air to be trapped inside paint creating bubble appearances when dried.
4. Nailing or screwing the table piece with 2 inches length of wooden piece to walling leveling with the top portion of the table in order for the said table to lie on top of wooden material as a supportive backing.
5. Screwing from the topmost portion of the table piercing through the wooden backing. Seal the nailed or screwed hole with a wooden filling agent. For a brand new finish, application of color paint may achieve the look.